Tobacco Caye is a small island located off the coast of Belize. Situated 30 minutes off the shore of Dangriga, Tobacco Caye is a perfect destination for a day trip from central Belize. It is only 200 feet wide and 400 feet long, making the atmosphere quite social and friendly. You can circle the island in less than 10 minutes. The palm-fringed island is part of South Water Caye Marine Reserve. This tropical getaway has no television and public telephone, but Wi-Fi is available for a small fee. It is the perfect place to relax in a hammock, enjoy the natural beauty of Caribbean and unplug yourself from the busy life back at home. You can enjoy snorkeling and diving right off the beach.
Things to do and see in Tobacoo Caye
• Sunrise and Sunset: You can book your private cabin that will be located right on the ocean, overlooking the gorgeous blue waters. This little slice of paradise hasn't much touristy things to explore, but sunrise and sunset are definitely the things to experience in Tobacco Caye. Pull up your chair in your cabin, watch the sunrise and see the bonefish and tarpon moving through the waters. Sail on a catamaran, cruise the gorgeous blue waters viewing the beautiful hues of sunset while sipping a rum punch. Tobacco Caye has a wonderful laid-back vibe that goes perfectly with watching the sun go down and sipping cocktails.
• Diving and Snorkeling: The underwater world surrounding Tobacco Caye is another great option for you to discover. It doesn't matter if you prefer snorkeling or diving - you will have an amazing experience here! Snorkelers can have close encounters with eagle rays, stingrays, sea turtles, and a variety of exotic coral reef fish. The healthy reef surrounding this caye teems with thousands of corals, fish and other creatures. Tobacco Caye is situated right in the middle of Belize Barrier Reef, offering memorable dive experiences. While diving in and near Tobacco Caye, you may find angelfish, parrot fish, snappers, manta rays, dolphins, lobsters, conchs, sea cucumbers, whelks and some endangered species of fish as well. Since Tobacco Caye is located within proximity to South Water Caye, you can explore other marine reserves of the Southern Barrier Reef Complex. Extend your trip to Tobacco Caye to discover more about Gladden Spit Silk Cayes Marine Reserve, Sapodilla Cayes Marine Reserve and Laughing Bird Caye Marine Reserve – which together forms the Southern Barrier Reef Complex. Tobacco Caye also has great atolls within reach, such as Glovers Reef, Turneffe Flats and the famous Light House Reef with its Blue Hole.
• Fishing, kayaking and Paddling: Tobacco Caye is in the middle of the second largest barrier reef system in the northern hemisphere. The reef stretches about 170 miles from north to south. This reef area attracts various marine animals such as barracudas, jacks, tarpons, mackerels, snappers, and even bigger fish such as marlin, wahoo, pompano and several other species. Fly fishing around the island is quite popular, and you can try this too while on your vacation here. Permit is found on the flats within comfortable distance from Tobacco Caye. You can catch it easily from aboard your own private boat charter. All fishing in Tobacco is for catch and release, except for a few. You must quickly release your catch back into the sea after photographing. If you are not into fishing activity, you can watch local fishermen wash their caught fish in the evening, which can create quite a fuss for many of the marine animals that eat them. You'll likely spot a variety of birds, stingrays and even moray eel that will eat the fish remains washed by fishermen. Hire a kayak and get an impressive glimpse of the nature surrounding this caye. Kayak miles of aquamarine waters while gentle waves ripple in from every horizon. You can also do standup paddle boarding and enjoy the cool ocean breeze as you drift along the azure blue waters. For some fun exercising, swim in the beautiful blue waters. The beach's edge is covered in rocks, so you can start swimming from one of the several piers available for easier access to the clear sea.
• Dining and Shopping: Tobacoo Caye has restaurants attached to the resort that you will be staying at. Gaviotas restaurant has a snacks stand behind their rooms, which offers doritos, cokes and even Starbucks iced coffees. Tobacco Caye Lodge features a little store, next to the bar, which serves some fast food. Tobacco Caye Paradise serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with Belizean and family style meals. There are no shopping options available here. Only 30 permanent residents live here on the island. So instead of shopping, you can watch their daily routines and learn about their history and life. If shopping is in your vacation list, we would suggest that you buy little souvenirs in central Belizean cities such as Dangriga, Belize City, Hopkins, and more.
• Nearby Attractions: There is so much to do while in Tobacco Caye that you will forget to check out what its surrounding area has to offer. Turneffe Atoll is a fantastic place to visit during your Tobacco Caye vacation. Another great places to visit are Goff's Caye, Water Caye, Caye Caulker, Drowned Cayes and more. You can also take your private yacht charter or catamaran to nearby Glovers Reef or Thatch Caye. When you are done with your exploration of Belize cayes, return to Belize mainland on board your own private yacht charter. In Belize, you can visit Mayflower Bocawina National Park and nearby Mayan ruin sites such as Xunantunich, Altun Ha, Caracol, Cahal Pech, Lamanai, Cerro Maya, and Barton Creek Cave. Do some shopping in Belize City to take back souvenirs for your friends and family.
Ready to plan your trip to Belize? Discover the natural beauty and unique charm of Tobacco Caye with us on board one of our luxurious yachts. Let our experienced staff help you explore the many different sites of Tobacco Caye along with other nearby sites such as South Water Caye. To discover more about the type of yachts that you can charter with us, click the Type of Yachts link provided here. You can also contact us at 702-401-4284 to book your private yacht charter.